Before You Go
Before You Go:
Booking a holiday in France needn’t be a daunting prospect. Of course you can make a reservation with a tour operator, although this way you may experience less French culture, which is half the fun of going there!
We help you with the arrangements by providing all the information you need on accommodation – what to choose and where to find it – and of course we explain all travel options available.
Also in this section you will find everything you need to consider before you travel, such as ordering money, preparing the car, packing the suitcase…..and much, much more besides.
Tips on preparing the car to ensure it is legal and for a trouble free holiday.
Advice on money – cash, cards or travellers cheques, when the banks are open, tips on security…..
Information on the documents you must take, including passports, car registration, insurance, EHIC Card (formerly E111)…
Invaluable advice on booking accommodation and “how to get there“.
There are two types of holiday insurance that we would recommend you to have for your protection whilst on holiday:
- firstly conventional travel insurance to protect you and cover any unrecoverable expenses such as deposits in the event you have to cancel your holiday for unavoidable reasons such as serious illness.
- secondly vehicle recovery insurance in case you have a serious breakdown in your car and have to have it locally repaired or returned to the UK.
Please make sure you check individual policies to ensure they provide the cover you need.
Holidays with a difference:
If you want a holiday that is a bit out of the ordinary you can try the following on line providers we haven’t personally used these so can’t recommend them, but we welcome your feedback and any additional ideas you may have for holidays in France with a difference…
- Holidays Afloat – boating holidays in France
- Belle France – cycling and walking holidays.
- Youth Hostels – French youth hostelling association.
Read our practical tips on last minute preparation for the holiday, including what to pack, getting the kids to bed the night before you leave, making sure you get to the ferry or airport on time, what to have handy in the car and so much more besides….
Read more travel in France:
- Before You Go
- Getting there
- Day Trips
- Overnight stops
- Entertaining the kids in the journey
- On arrival