White Water Rafting in the Alps
The Alps offers tonnes of opportunities for organized outdoor activities (rafting, body boards, rock climbing, potholing, canyoning etc…) run by centres where full tuition and all equipment is provided.
These activities are on the whole for families with older children who are looking for that adrenalin rush and bit of extra excitement that perhaps a gentle canoe/kayak ride doesn’t give!
Having said that, there are one or two centres we know of that have routes and equipment designed for children as young as 7 years old (see below).
Important Safety Notice: Rafting can be a dangerous sport. You should decide for yourself whether you are happy for your children to go rafting and whether the companies listed in this site have acceptable safety procedures. France For Families does not recommend these companies, nor can we accept responsibility for any accidents which may occur.
Best Rafting Rivers:
The Arve at Chamonix and the Giffre at Samoens are popular rafting rivers. The Arve is cold, but then you’d expect it to be with all that water running off the Mont Blanc glaciers!
Between Morzine and Lake Leman is the Dranse which is also popular – further afield in Italy, you have the terrifying Dora Baltea which is definitely for rough necks only!
Rafting Companies in the Alpes:
- Adventures Payraud Mont-Blanc: www.adventurespayraud.com. On the D339 just south of Passy.
- Elcorado: www.ecolorado-rafting.com. This is a much larger set-up than the Pyrénnéan one. There are two main centres/river options, one at Samoëns and the other at Passy. Here there are special courses and rafts for 7-12 year olds and also for teenagers. Again there are a wide range of activities on offer.
- Alpo Rive Rafting: www.alpovive-rafting.com. Near Thonon-les-Bains.
- A7 Aventures: www.7aventures.com. Between Thonon and Morzine on the D902.
- Haute-Savoie Nature Aventure: www.rando-rafting.com. Near Morillon.
- Evolution2: www.evolution2.com. An outdoor activities company focusing on skiing tuition in the winter and other outdoor activities in the summer.
Here’s more information to make the most of your visit to the Alps: