The following have been voted by us as the best chateaux in France. We have taken account the enjoyment of the whole family from the youngest to the eldest. Obviously this is a personal view, but for families with children between the ages of 5 and 15 you should find you can really enjoy a day out at these!
- Chateau Marquessac. Great setting, lovely gardens. Romantic candlelit Thursday evenings.
- Chenonceau. Seems to float above the river Loire.
- Castelnaud. Great setting opposite Marquessac with interactive displays for the kids.
- Chateau de Villandry
- Chateau Biron. Good place for the kids to let off steam with lots of nooks and crannies.
- Chateau de Beynac
- Chateau de Commarque. Lovely remote setting, great place to avoid the Dordogne crowds!
- Chateau de Bonaguil
- Chateau Haut Koenigsburg. Spectacular setting with views across the Alsace plains.
Read more about our favourites in France: