The following have been voted by us as the 10 best towns in France. We have taken account the enjoyment of the whole family from the youngest to the eldest. Obviously this is a personal view, but for families with children between the ages of 5 and 15 you should find you can really enjoy visiting these towns!
- Sarlat. Delightful in the evening. Excellent Saturday market. Look out for street artists!
- Domme. Spectacular setting overlooking the Dordogne with shops, market, amusements…
- Les Baux de Provence. Incredible old town, delightful new town.
- St Malo. Splendid seaside setting with incredible walled old town and nice beaches.
- Honfleur. Romantic Normandy seaside town (centre right) with lovely harbour and old town.
- Avignon. Visit the Papal Palace, the town has riverside setting and splendid vineyards nearby.
- Aigues Mortes. A lovely small town in the Camargues with a fine town wall walk.
- Rocamadour. France’s second most popular tourist destination in an incredible cliff side setting
- Vaison la Romaine. Simply a beautiful town.
- La Roque Gageac. A Dordogne setting with incredible far reaching views from the troglodyte caves.
Read more about our favourites in France: