Maison Villebard - From €300 - €300 per Week
Maison Villebard is a beautifully appointed first floor apartment with two bedrooms, available to book for a self-catering holiday. Part of a 200 year old farmhouse, this holiday home in the Limousin is nestled in its own grounds of about an acre set in a quiet area of rural France, just north-west of Limoges.
Owned and managed by keen motorcyclists, Kate and Martin Pegler welcome fellow riders, offering secure parking, a bike trailer for emergencies and a workshop for minor repairs. They don’t only cater for bikers, of course, and have bicycles to hire.
The gite apartment has a private entrance (we regret that the apartment may not be easily accessed by some disabled persons) and is fully fitted with a modern kitchen, shower room, two bedrooms, one being the master bedroom which has a 6ft double divan bed (which can split into two singles if required) and the other bedroom has two single beds. The living room area is light and airy with exposed beams throughout.
Bedding and towels are included in the price and guests will find a ‘welcome pack’ which includes tea, coffee, sugar and milk. The owners are happy to pick up some fresh foodstuffs for your arrival, if ordered in advance. There is free WiFi available. The apartment has central heating but also fans for the warmer weather.
There are medieval villages and chateaux to explore, beautiful scenery to gaze upon, the river Vienne is close by and there are many lakes – some are open for public use with swimming, sunbathing and boating. There is a lot of local history in the region. The area was heavily settled by the Romans and there are still many signs of their occupation, including the amazing Roman baths at www.cassinomagus.fr. The Black Prince and Richard the Lionheart were both, in their time, the Dukes of Aquitaine and Princes of Wales. There is a Richard Coeur de Lion historic route that is ideal to follow and help you to explore the region.
Moving into this century, it is worth a sobering visit to the remains of the village of Oradour-sur-Glane. A WW2 atrocity by the Nazi Waffen SS on 10 June 1944, killing 642 inhabitants and destroying the entire village which is now a memorial with many buildings still standing, burned out cars in the streets and sewing machines in the houses which were part of the local industry for making leather gloves.
The gite is within half an hour’s drive of the International Airport of Limoges Bellegarde with flights from the UK: including Stansted, Gatwick, Southampton, Manchester and Nottingham. Car hire is bookable in advance at Limoges. For those who want to drive or ride down, there are several Channel crossings to consider, including Brittany Ferries’ Portsmouth daytime (5 hours minimum) or overnight crossings into Caen. Brittany Ferries also run a summer time Fast Catamaran Ferry at 3 hours into Cherbourg but you add an hour’s riding down the peninsula.
Bussiere Boffy boasts a very early church with a leaning, twisted spire, a walking route to see the medieval houses within the village, a café/bar which serves lunches and evening meals (on two nights they serve their own homemade pizzas to eat in or takeaway!). This café has a grocer’s store attached which sells fresh bread and croissants every day. There is also a post office and a tiny Tourist Office to help you plan your days.
Plus check out the following:
- CASSINOMAGVS, France’s most monumental Gallo-Roman Thermal Baths.
- CHATEAU DE JUMILHAC Beautiful castle and gardens with 6 centuries of history with art galleries.
- GOUFFRE DE PADIRAC A trip underground some of it by boat, this amazing place is open 25 March to 13 November.
- GROTTES DE LACAVE 9kms from Rocamadour, discover 11 rooms of astonishing beauty using an electric train. The largest lake is 2000m2.
- LE GROTTE DE VILLARS Tours lasting 45 minutes plus a 20 min film of this fascinating set of caves.
- LE LABYRINTHE GEANT A multitude of activities with a vast maze grown from plants over 2.2 hectares – includes a mini farm. Opening hours are mostly the afternoons except in the holidays when it is open all day. (98kms / 1hr 15 mins)
- LIMOGES CITY PASS Worth purchasing if you want to spend a day visiting the main sites in the city or some of the places to visit listed on this page.
- DVD Player
- Linen Included
- Satellite TV
- Smoke Alarms
- Children Welcome