La Herpiniere - From £450 - £550 per Week
Situated in the beautiful Normandy countryside, this charming two-bedroom self-contained gite is available for holidays and short breaks.
La Herpiniere gite is set away from other buildings within the owners’ property of five acres beautifully landscaped gardens that features a large pond.
This gite in Normandy offers:
- 2 bedrooms, sleeping 4 (one double, one twin)
- Wood burning stove in lounge with supply of logs
- TV with UK TV and radio, plus Blu-ray and DVD player
- Free WIFI
- Selection of games & books, DVDs & Blu Rays available
- Fully equipped kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher
- High chair & travel cot provided if required
- Bed linen and towels provided
- Outside dining with BBQ
- Dogs welcome
- Can offer up to 20% discount on Brittany Ferries
Outside the gîte is a patio area with table and barbecue for you to make the most of your surroundings. The south-facing aspect has gorgeous views over nothing but rolling countryside.
All of this is set in five acres of grounds, including a lovely old orchard and large pond with decked seating area for you to enjoy.
For the gently active, a croquet court is prepared and ready for your use.
Unfortunately, you can’t swim in La Herpinière’s pond, but during the summer months there is a heated open air swimming pool at Mortain (15 minutes’ drive), and all year round indoor swimming in Vire (20 minutes).
The friendly owners live on site and are available for advice and recommendations whenever needed.
There are some lovely attractive small towns and villages nearby and you may wish to visit with places to eat.
- Mont St Michel (50 mins)
This world famous landmark is worth a visit. The climb to the Abbey is worth the effort for the view alone.
- Bayeux (1½ hours)
Famous for the Bayeux tapestry, there are chic shops, restaurants, museums, the cathedral and the British and Commonwealth second world war cemeteries.
- Granville (45 mins)
There are some excellent seafood restaurants in the port area and a walk around the town including the old town and Pointe du Roc is worth a visit. There are a number of art studios and museums including the Christian Dior family home.
- Cancale (1½ hours)
This pretty coastal town is famous for its delicious oysters, which are farmed in the bay.
- Second World War Historical sites
All around this area there are historical sites with Mortain being the nearest. Further up on the coast are the D Day beaches at Arromanches with the second world war museum and numerous cemeteries. The largest American cemetery can be found at Omaha Beach, Colleville Sur Mer.
- Pegasus Bridge played a crucial part in the D-Day operations and is within easy reach of the gîte.
The nearest beaches just 45 minutes away can be found all around the Baie de Mont St Michel at Carolles and Jouville (on the Avranches to Granville coast road). These are safe sandy beaches, perfect for families.
- Walking & Cycling
There are a number of formal walks, or randonneurs as they are locally known, in the area. Cycling is very popular in the area with many dedicated cycle paths. The nearest cycle pathway links Vire and Mortain. The Owners can provide recommendations of local walks with maps.
- Parc Festyland near Caen
- Amusement park at Caen around 90 minutes away
- Parc De L’Ange Michel: Amusement park located near Ducey about 35 minutes way
- Zoo de Champrepus: Zoological gardens near Granville about 45 minutes away
- Alligator Bay: wildlife park near Mont St Michel around 1 hour away
- Les Roc Des Harmonies: Nature park at Granville 45 minutes away
- Enchanted Village: 5 minutes away
- Golf & Fishing – Vire has an attractive 18-hole course open to all (20 minutes). Granville Links is about 45 minutes away with Omaha Beach around 1½ hours away. Fishing – available at various locations in the vicinity within a 20 miniute drive offering course and fly fishing.
- Riding – Organised treks suitable for all abilities within the forest of St Sever near Vire, approximately 30 minutes drive away. Hats are provided.
- DVD Player
- Linen Included
- Satellite TV
- Smoke Alarms
- Toys and Games
- Washing Machine
- Children Welcome
- Pets allowed
- Suitable for Seniors